Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Perks

362 days out of the year my neighborhood is (usually) peaceful and quiet. You know the type: lots of old homes, 100 year old live oaks creating a canopy over brick streets, neighbors who wave to each other, large 1920's Catholic cathedral smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. I love it (which is surprising because I thought I'd always be a downtown urban chick). Then, for three days every March, the church has a fundraiser and the neighborhood gets all crazy and festival-y.

I love that I live five blocks away from this:





It was much more crowded than these photos make the festival out to be. For starters, every teenager in St. Petersburg that needed a place to make out was at the festival. By the time I got there most people had migrated from the rides to the food and beer. I didn't get a chance to photograph the food area (too busy eating, I suppose). In a 50 ft. row, there was a combination of foods that probably shouldn't all go into one's belly at once: chinese food, greek food, pancit noodles, fried green tomatoes, burritos, cookies baked by the nuns, and peach cobbler.

In knitting news, I think I'm suffering from startitis. I have a huge pile of sock yarn and patterns. For the past few days I've just stared at it all and thought, what to start next? Jaywalkers? Monkeys? STR club pattern? So many choices it makes my head spin! In the end I cast on for a project I bought the yarn for six months ago, the Veste Everest from IK Fall 2005. I'm using Harrisville Highland Style in #34 Aster.


This will be my first knitted sweater-type item. Read: this will be the first project I've knitted that actually needs to fit. Before starting I swatched, measured, washed, blocked and dried like a good knitter. So far so good: after one row I had the pattern memorized and have been able to knit on auto-pilot. Last night I finished several of the cable repeats while mostly concentrating on watching The Thin Man. Oh, that Asta!

8 comments:

Megan said...

I found your blog through January One today and saw that you're a new blogger. I just wanted to let you know that everything looks fabulous!

Christy said...

Good luck curing that startitis...I've had a bout of it myself. And I love the Thin Man series, we just watched them all recently. Great movies

Kristy said...

You've got a great blog here! I don't think I can get enough of finished socks, especially ones as beautiful as your Hederas!

Good luck with your first sweater-like project. It looks like it will be a great one to work on.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I love the heathery pink of the yarn. It's going to look wonderful!

Opal said...

I adore pancit noodles! Your vest is looking fabulous, btw. :-)

Phoebe said...

Are you also near the house that puts up all the Xmas lights?

Hey maybe we should post something about Sat's STR knitting on the Rockin blog?

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of all that food. My Dad used to make Fried Green Tomatoes on Suday mornings. Good luck with the sweater, it looks like a person sized garment which my first sweater certainly wasn't, well maybe Andre the giant might have been able to wear it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, you asked the colors, fire on the mountain, watermelon tourmaline, and farmhouse. I went with the last two for the chevron. Your site is nice love the vest. And Fried Green tomatoes yum!