In that order. Sorry for the long post.
It was a bad week of knitting for me. I have absolutely nothing to show for a week in which I managed to knit for at least an hour every evening. Unless you count two swatches but no one wants to see swatches. Even the swatches were frustrating. Here is what I attempted to do this past week:
- Pick up stitches to knit the collar of my first sweater (so close to being done!). I'm supposed to pick up 82 stitches on the right side. If I pick up every stitch I can I get 100+ stitches. If I skip every other one I get 50ish stitches. Where is the 82?! I worked on this for two evenings then put it down to start...
- A Friday Harbor sock. I started it twice before I got smart and googled "Friday Harbor" to find the pattern correction. If you ever decide to knit these, read Margene's excellent explanation on how to knit the first chart. Decided I need a sock break and knit some...
- Test swatches for Fyne Vest and the Tangled Yoke Cardigan. The swatch for Fyne measures fine but the purl side of my color work looks bad. As for the Tangled Yoke: how can I get exactly the same measurements with a US 4 as I did with a US 5? Not quite psyched up enough to start Fyne, and frustrated with my Tangled Yoke swatches, I decided to chill out and knit...
- Some Endpaper Mitts. I spent an hour last night learning the Italian Tubular Cast On, getting it all wrong, giving up and learning the regular (English?) Tubular Cast On, which resulted in the most beautiful cast-on I've ever knit. Unfortunately it was way too tight; after knitting the ribbed section I tried it on and couldn't get it over my hand. So late last night I frogged it. I ended up drinking wine and watching Harry Potter and the OOP in a surly, surly mood.
- Less socks. I'm sure I'll always have a pair of socks on the needles but it is time to break out and try new projects. I have a list of socks I want to make this year, including many Nancy Bush socks, but it is a much smaller list than last year. Less socks also means buying less (or no) sock yarn this year. I have plenty.
- More color-work. It is time to try some of the projects I've been dreaming of. I am starting with the Fyne vest.
- Knit more sweaters and other larger projects. Stop thinking of my knitting as a race to finish as many FO's as possible and concentrate on learning new skills and enjoying the process. This year in the queue is Fyne, Tangled Yoke, Central Park Hoodie, Rusted Root and Green Gable (okay I'm a little behind - I know you all have already knit these).
I did accomplish one thing last week. I baked what I am calling The Best Cupcakes (I've) Ever Made. I found chockylit's cupcake blog while searching for cupcake recipes and tried her Chili Chocolate cupcakes with Chili Chocolate Ganache to bring to my neighborhood porch party. Soooo awesome. If you do not love chocolate and chili as much as I do (I love chocolate and chili so very very much) you could always leave out the chili I suppose. I think next I'll try her Lavender Cream Filled Cupcake with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting.
My cupcake photos came out blurry. Instead I leave you with a photo of the girls. Have a sweet week!